So, you've just moved into a new apartment and are starting to decorate your space.
You need to figure out what to do with your coffee table. It's just sitting empty and lifeless, taking up valuable real estate in your living room.
You want to style it to look stylish and trendy, but you need help figuring out where to start.
So how do you style your coffee table like a pro and impress your friends and family?
Successfully styling your coffee table involves the following steps:
- Choose a coffee table that fits your style
- Decide on a colour scheme or theme
- Add accessories and decor that fit the theme
- Use plants, flowers, or other natural elements
- Experiment with different looks and styles until you find one you love
One of the most common challenges people have when styling their coffee table is needing clarification on what colour scheme or theme to go with.
Once you've chosen a theme, you're also met with the next challenge of finding accessories and decor that fit that theme.
Not to worry! This article will help you find the perfect look for your table and show you how to style it like a pro.
But before you get to the styling, you must purchase a coffee table that's the right style in the first place:
1. Choose a coffee table that fits your style, space and budget
Before you even try decorating your coffee table, choose one that already goes with the palette and style of the rest of your house.
If you opt for a table that doesn't match the style of the rest of your home, it won't be easy to create a cohesive, seamless look for your space.
Instead, choose a coffee table that reflects your personality, style and taste. This will make it much easier to find accessories and decor that fit the look you're going for.
Popular Types of Coffee Tables
There are many different types and styles of coffee tables, so you're sure to find one that's perfect for your space.
Here are a few popular ones to get you started:
1. The traditional coffee table: This is the most common type. It's typically rectangular or square and has four legs.
2. The modern coffee table: These tables are more minimalist. They're usually made with clean lines and simple shapes.
3. The rustic coffee table: As the name suggests, these coffee tables have a more rustic or country feel. They're often made with natural materials like wood
4. The glass coffee table: As the name suggests, these tables have a glass top. They provide an open and airy feel to a space.
5. The nesting coffee table: This is an excellent option if you have limited space in your home. They're typically made with two or three smaller tables that fit snugly together.
What to consider when choosing a coffee table
-Size: Make sure to measure the space where you plan to put your coffee table and choose an appropriate size. You want a table that is just enough for the area.
-Shape: Coffee tables come in all different shapes and sizes. Please look at what form fits the space and what look you are going for.
-Style: As we mentioned before, it is essential to choose a table that fits the style of your home. Do you prefer a more traditional look? Or are you going for a more modern feel?
-Material: Coffee tables can be made from various materials. Wood, metal, glass, and even acrylic are all popular materials. Consider what material would best fit the style of your home and be the most durable.
-Price: Remember to set a budget for yourself before you start shopping! Coffee tables range in price from affordable ($10 from Kmart) to luxury ($1000 tables from RJ Living).
2. Decide on a colour scheme or theme
Now that you've selected the perfect table, it's time to start thinking about what colour scheme or theme you want to go with.
This is important because it will help guide the rest of your decisions regarding accessories and decor.
Some popular colour schemes and themes to consider include:
-Monochromatic: This look uses different shades of the same colour. It is often used to create a minimalist or modern look.
-Natural: This look uses colours and textures inspired by nature. It can be used to create a relaxing, zen-like atmosphere.
-Glam: This look is all about luxury and opulence. It often uses metallics, glass, and mirrored surfaces.
-Vintage: This nostalgic look takes inspiration from eras like the roaring 20s or mid-century modern.
-Global: This look takes inspiration from different cultures worldwide. It often uses bold colours and patterns.
3. Add accessories and decor that fit your coffee table's theme
One of the best ways to create a cohesive look with your new table is to add accessories and decor that fit the theme. This will help tie everything together and create a unified look.
Accessories can include things like:
- Rugs: A rug can help add warmth and definition to your living room area.
- Candles: Candles are a great way to add ambience and create a relaxing atmosphere.
- Photos: You can use photos or other artwork to personalise your coffee table and make it unique.
- Books: Coffee table books are a great way to add height, colour, and texture to your table. Plus, they're functional too!
- Statues or figurines: A small statue or figurine, such as a coral piece, can be a great way to add interest and visual appeal.
- Sculptures: A sculpture can be a great conversation starter and add a touch of personality to your coffee table.
Add Plants, flowers, or other natural elements:
One of the best ways to add personality and life to your coffee table is to add plants, flowers, or other natural elements.
This will help brighten up the space and create a relaxing atmosphere. Just be sure to use safe plants for pets and children if you have them.
Some great plants to consider include:
-Succulents: These low-maintenance plants come in various shapes and sizes.
-Air Plants: These unique plants don't need any soil and only need to be watered once a week.
-Bonsai Trees: These miniature trees are a popular choice for coffee tables.
-Orchids: These beautiful flowers come in various colours and can add a touch of luxury to your space.
-Aloe Vera: This plant is known for its healing properties and is a popular choice for first-time gardeners.
-English Ivy: This plant is easy to care for and helps purify the air in your home.
We highly recommend adding dried flower arrangements to your coffee table, which are long-lasting and highly on-trend.
5. Experiment with different looks and styles until you find one you love
One of the best things about styling your coffee table is that you can experiment until you find a perfect manner.
Try out different looks and see which one you like best. Feel free to mix and match different styles or colours.
The key is to have fun with it and to let your personality shine through.
The key to styling your coffee table is experimenting until you find a look or style that best suits your tastes.
Remember that the general rule of thumb regarding accessories and decor is less is more.
Try to do it with only a few elements, as this can make things feel cluttered rather than cozy and inviting.
We hope this guide is helpful and gives you some inspiration for how to style your coffee table.
If you are currently redecorating your home, make sure to check out our guide on how to decorate a bookshelf!
Thanks for reading!