Most palms are known by their large, green leaves and are most commonly found along the coast. However, due to their diversity, they can be found amongst deserts and rainforests.
Palm leaves belong to the Arecaceae or Palmae family. There are currently over 2,600 species of palms that grow in tropical and subtropical climates.
Palm leaves date back centuries and have been known to be used in ancient times for building materials and paper.
Palm leaves and fronds can also produce food for consumption such as coconuts, the popular Açaí berry and dates.
The beauty about palm leaves is that they are available all year round!
How to dry palm leaves:
The best way to dry palm leaves is out in the sun. Simply find a sunny spot and lay them on the ground to dry out for a few weeks.
- Source palm leaves from the beach if they have broken off a tree or get in touch with a wholesale flower market or florist for some fresh palm fronds.
- Find a sunny spot in your yard and lay out a large blanket, cloth or drop sheet.
- Place the palm leaves, palm fronds or branches out on the blanket. If you are drying multiple leaves, ensure they aren’t touching.
- Leave to dry out in the sun for a few weeks. The amount of time it will take to dry out the palms depends on the amount of sun it gets each day (we recommend drying them in late Spring or early Summer).
Decorating with Palm Fronds
What to do with dried palm leaves:
You can put Dried Palm Leaves on display in your home in a large vase or urn. They are also great for dried flower wall hangings, dried arrangements or simply in a vase on their own. We have seen them being used as fans lately which look super cute!
Palm Leaves have had multiple uses for centuries, with the leaves and fronds being used to weave hats, make roofs, as mulch for the garden, for woven baskets and more.
Adding dried palm leaves to your decor is a great way to bring that coastal feel inside your home, without the humidity!
What are palm leaves called?
Palm leaves are most commonly known as fronds - recognised by their large green leaves.
How long do palm leaves last?
If you prefer luscious greenery instead of gorgeous, brown dried palm fronds, you can cut a fresh palm leaf and keep it as you would fresh flowers, in a vase with water. Fresh palm leaves last for 2-4 weeks and dried palm leaves can last for years!
Aesthetic palm leaves are on numerous Pinterest mood boards for home decor, weddings and salon wall art.
How to clean palm leaves:
Fresh palm leaves, especially ones that have fallen on the ground may be quite dirty. To clean them, simply dip a soft cloth in a soapy water solution and wipe the leaves gently.
Can you spray paint Dried Palms?
Yes, you can spray paint dried palm leaves to suit your home decor or flower arrangement. We recommend using a flower spray paint such as Design Master spray paints as they are designed specifically for flowers.
Dried palm leaves are a gorgeous addition to any home décor and with a little bit of know-how, you can easily add some glamour to your space with a few coats of spray paint. In this article, we’re going to show you how to spray paint dried palm leaves and give you a few tips on how to get the best results.
How to Spray Paint Dried Palms:
Materials you will need:
- Drop Sheet
- Dried Palm Leaves
- Florist Spray paint (we recommend a florist spray paint such as Design Masters)
Tip: Only spray paint in a well ventilated area - such as outside when it is not windy or wet.
- Lay out a drop sheet and lay down your palm leaf in the centre. Ensure the palm leaf is clean and dry before painting. Use a clean dry paint brush to dust off any dirt of dust.
- Ensure your spray paint is shaken well and set yourself up about 30cm away from the palms for painting. Spray in a light, sweeping motion from top to bottom.
- Spray the entire palm leaf on one side and wait to dry well before turning over and repeating the painting on the other side.
- Once fully dry, assess the paint job and determine if you need a second coat or if you’re happy with just one.
Tip: We recommend reading the instructions on the spray paint before use. If you’ve never used spray paint before, it may be worthwhile checking out a tutorial so you get an optimal result.
Dried palm leaves are the perfect decor for a coastal or boho styled home. We have some on display in our living room and they look great next to our linen sofa. They are very low maintenance and you won’t have to worry about them like you do with indoor plants.
Palm leaves are the perfect addition to a tropical theme wedding. We recommend chatting to your florist (yes, we do weddings!), about having dried palm leaves at your wedding. They can look amazing on your welcome sign, wedding arbour or even smaller palms in your dried wedding bouquet.
Milla Rose loves using dried palm leaves, palm fronds and dried palm spears in our everlasting arrangements. Our best selling neutral preserved flowers and dried fern arrangement feature some gorgeous dried sun palms in various colours.
Q: Where can I buy dried palm leaves?
A: You can buy dried palm leaves from numerous places, both online and in store. Try your local craft or florist store, as they will more than likely have a range of dried palm leaves to choose from.
Q: How do I care for dried palm leaves?
A: Dried palm leaves are very low maintenance and can be left as they are, without any care needed. However, if you would like to dust them off every now and then, a dry paint brush will do the trick.
Q: I’ve never used spray paint before, can you give me some tips?
A: Yes! If you’re new to spray painting, we recommend reading the instructions on the can before use. It’s also a good idea to check out a tutorial video, so you can see how the pros do it. This will help you to get an optimal result when spray painting your dried palm leaves.